If large number of operations are performed in EMS then the database backup size may be up to several GB even if the data present in database is not that much in size. This is because the mdf file of database contains the data and the ldf file contains the log of all the operations performed. If large number of operations are performed then size of ldf file increases.
Therefore, we can truncate the log file using the following steps:
- Open the database in SQL Management Studio
- Right-click the database, choose properties, then options.
- Make sure “Recovery model” is set to “Simple”, not “Full”
- Click Ok
- Right-click the database again, choose tasks -> shrink files
- Change file type to “log” and then click OK
This should reduce the size of database backup.